Sunday, April 01, 2007

Happy Palm Sunday and April Fools' Day!

I don't have anything to post about Palm Sunday, so here are two April Fools' links:

Possible Origins of April Fools' Day

Top 100 April Fool's Day Hoaxes of All Time


What appears below was added to this entry on April 20, almost three weeks after the post was originally made. I'm explaining this because I'm not sure if it's proper etiquette to substantially edit a blog entry this long after it was posted without explaining that you've done so. Given that Kurt Vonnegut has died since I made the original post, I thought some sort of disclaimer like this was especially appropriate. I don't want anyone to think that I'm psychic or anything like that. I would have just posted my addendum in the "comments" section, but I thought you might miss it if it were there. I also considered waiting until the next time that Palm Sunday and April Fools' Day coincide, but I didn't want to have to figure out when that would be. Also, I may be dead by then. In any case, I don't want to wait that long.

Too late, I thought of an appropriate post for Palm Sunday / April Fools' Day:

I asked an Episcopalian priest the other day what I should say to you about Palm Sunday. She told me to say that it was a brilliant satire on pomp and circumstance and high honors in this world. So I tell you that. --- Kurt Vonnegut, from a sermon he delivered on Palm Sunday 1980 at St. Clement's Episcopal Church in New York City, later quoted in his essay "In the Capital of the World," which was published in his book Palm Sunday

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google