Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Lowbrow


Earlier tonight on Ovation TV I watched The Lowdown on Lowbrow, a documentary about the lowbrow art movement, of which I am a great fan. La Luz de Jesus Gallery, Juxtapoz magazine, and Robert Williams were all featured prominently.
When I first moved to Hollywood, my apartment was on Lanewood Avenue, which is two blocks from Hollywood Boulevard. I walked past the nearby La Luz de Jesus many, many times, but I thought it was just a strange Mexican store-front church, so I never went inside. It was only after I had left California and started law school back in Louisiana that I began my subscription to Juxtapoz and discovered my mistake. Missing that opportunity to see such interesting artwork in my own old neighborhood is one of my three big regrets about my time in Los Angeles. (The others are never getting a hotdog at Pink's and never going to the Ackermansion.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google